Self care has been a seriously hot topic recently. It seems that more and more people are starting to see how important it really is, but some people still might be misunderstanding self care. Or, some people might suggest there isn’t enough time in the day for self care. What a terrifying idea! Enter ways to get self care at work.
Most of us spend a ton of time at work, whether it be a desk job, or something similar. Work is also one of the most stressful parts of our day, and sometimes we carry that stress home with us as well. For me, I feel like most of my work stress stems from thinking of all the stuff I need to get done at home. Sometimes I really need to take better care of myself at work so I can be more productive.
Enter self care that you can practice while at work!
I am a big time believer in self care and how you can use it to transform your entire LIFE! Seriously, once you try it and see how effective it is, you’ll probably never want to go back. I know that I live for my nights in where I get to indulge a little in some self care, so bringing that comfort with me to work is important and seriously has helped me to up my game!
Self Care at Work Ideas
- Sip water all day long. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Make sure you are getting enough water, because when you’re dehydrated, you tend to feel like a garbage bin. Grab a cute reusable bottle, and fill it up often! I keep a reusable plastic tumbler on my desk, and always fill it up with fresh water first thing in the morning.
- Recognize when you need a break. Stressed? Take a minute, get some fresh air or excuse yourself for a moment. Clear your mind, get focused again, and get back to work. Getting centered again is everything!
- Don’t underestimate a to do list. I keep a todo list for myself in my planner to help me make sure that I tackle everything I need to in the day. Check off as you go, and feel accomplished every step of the way.
- Snack when you’re hungry. I know so many people who love to work straight through the lunch hour and tackle work, but seriously, take a break for a snack to keep your energy level up. You feel better when you aren’t starving!
- Pack healthy snacks. Refuel with granola, fruit, and veg for sustainable energy. Sugary processed foods crash your energy, making you feel worse later.
- Get enough sleep the night before. Need I say anything else?
- Have designated time to respond to emails, calls, etc. Instead of trying to keep up tirelessly with the never ending requests, designate a few times a day to touch base. You’ll feel way less buried and you’ll be more focused when you do respond.
- Take a breath. This might sound super silly, but taking a minute and focusing solely on your breathing for a minute can take your anxiety back to a 0.
- Leave your work at work. Don’t drag all the stress home. Make a policy with yourself that you will drop the work drama as soon as you leave that door.
- Remember to be positive. Try to find something good in everyone you meet. Forcing yourself to look for the good can seriously pick up your mood.
Do you have any favorites for self care at work? Share in the comments below!